qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: unified --help information

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: unified --help information
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 06:22:38 -0500

On 07/26/2017 06:11 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>> qemu-nbd mentions: Report bugs to <address@hidden>
>> qemu-ga mentions: Report bugs to <address@hidden>
>>
>> while qemu-system-*, qemu-img, and qemu-io mention nothing at all.  Is
>> it worth unifying these to all mention address@hidden as the
>> primary bug-report site, and/or to add mention of <http://qemu.org> as a
>> site for further information?
>
> I think we should point to a more specific bugreport URL.
>
> Currently it's http://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/ReportABug.  If we want
> an URL on qemu.org, we can either add a redirect from qemu.org to the
> wiki, or move the contents to qemu.org (it's static enough that it
> shouldn't be a big issue).  I've sent out a patch for the latter.

So something like these two lines (via a macro) in all of the
executables, ideally at the tail end of --help output?

See <https://qemu.org/contribute/report-a-bug> for bug reports.
More information on the qemu project at <https://qemu.org>

(assuming your recent patch goes in).  I'm also open to bikeshedding on
better wording, or requests on which content is most useful vs. too verbose.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266