qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" flushing interface - discussion

From: Dan Williams
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM "fake DAX" flushing interface - discussion
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 17:54:17 -0700

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Rik van Riel <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 14:40 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Rik van Riel <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>> > Alternatively, the existing pmem code, with
>> > a flush-only block device on the side, which
>> > is somehow associated with the pmem device.
>> >
>> > I wonder which alternative leads to the least
>> > code duplication, and the least maintenance
>> > hassle going forward.
>>
>> I'd much prefer to have another driver. I.e. a driver that refactors
>> out some common pmem details into a shared object and can attach to
>> ND_DEVICE_NAMESPACE_{IO,PMEM}. A control device on the side seems
>> like
>> a recipe for confusion.
>
> At that point, would it make sense to expose these special
> virtio-pmem areas to the guest in a slightly different way,
> so the regions that need virtio flushing are not bound by
> the regular driver, and the regular driver can continue to
> work for memory regions that are backed by actual pmem in
> the host?

Hmm, yes that could be feasible especially if it uses the ACPI NFIT
mechanism. It would basically involve defining a new SPA (System
Phyiscal Address) range GUID type, and then teaching libnvdimm to
treat that as a new pmem device type.

See usage of UUID_PERSISTENT_MEMORY in drivers/acpi/nfit/ and the
eventual region description sent to nvdimm_pmem_region_create(). We
would then need to plumb a new flag so that nd_region_to_nstype() in
libnvdimm returns a different namespace type number for this virtio
use case, but otherwise the rest of libnvdimm should treat the region
as pmem.