qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 77af8a2b95b79699de650965d5228772743efe84 breaks

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit 77af8a2b95b79699de650965d5228772743efe84 breaks Windows 2000 support
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 22:38:23 -0400

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 10:28 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:30:20 +0200
> From: Igor Mammedov <address@hidden>
> To: Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden>
> Cc: Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden>, Phil Dennis-Jordan
>       <address@hidden>, "Daniel P. Berrange" <address@hidden>,
>       Phil    Dennis-Jordan <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       "address@hidden qemu-devel" <address@hidden>,
>       Programmingkid  <address@hidden>, Richard Henderson
>       <address@hidden>, "Michael      S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Commit
>       77af8a2b95b79699de650965d5228772743efe84 breaks Windows 2000 support
>
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 15:10:40 +0200
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 26/07/2017 15:08, Igor Mammedov wrote:

>>> I'd support it, however it would break migrated guests with old BIOS
>>> image in RAM on reboot.
>>
>> Why?  Shouldn't the old ACPI tables get migrated together with the old
>> BIOS?  Or are they rebuilt after reset?
> they are rebuild on reset, but I've been wrong
> Looking at SeaBIOS something similar to your suggestion also should work,
> if
>    RsdpAddr = find_acpi_rsdp();
> fails, current SeaBIOS falls back to its own ACPI tables.
>
> but it seems that we don't even need to go to that extent,
> all user have to do is to use "-no-acpi" CLI option with QEMU
> for any SeaBIOS to fallback to embedded legacy ACPI tables.
>
> Maybe we should just fix wiki
>  http://wiki.qemu.org/Windows2000
> to recommend using '-no-acpi' option when running w2k and
> leave PC machine at rev3 and mention it in release notes.
>
> Opinions?

I just tried booting Windows 2000 using '-no-acpi' and ended up in a restart
loop.
Windows would look like its booting up properly then the screen is blanked.
Seabios text would appear on the screen for a fraction of a
second then be replaced by the Windows startup screen again. This repeats over
and
over.