qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Editing qemu source code

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Editing qemu source code
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 09:35:22 +0100

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 01:44:52PM +0200, Stefan Weil wrote:
> Am 06.08.2017 um 13:25 schrieb Shantanu Agarwal:
> > Hello all,
> > I was reading about qemu, trying to understand the source code. I found
> > that vl.c is considered the main file of qemu source code from where all
> > the execution starts. So I flipped some values, i even put a exit(0) just
> > after the int main starts, but nothing is changed. Qemu is fully
> > functional. Also i put many printf's in between but no output at all. Am I
> > missing something or vl.c is not the main file.
> >

> Hi,
>
> the main function in vl.c is the correct entry point.
> If you don't see an effect of your changes, then you
> are probably calling an executable which is not the
> changed one.

Yes, this is a common cause for this problem.  Are you launching the
correct QEMU binary?

For example, the x86 full-system emulator built in the source tree can
be run like this:

  $ cd qemu
  $ x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64

Remember that operating systems resolve shell commands using the PATH
environment variable.  If you ran 'qemu-system-x86_64' without a
relative or absolute path then you are probably running the QEMU binary
that was installed from a package somewhere else on your system (e.g.
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64).

If you ran 'make install' then make sure to give the full path to the
QEMU binary (e.g. /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64) or set PATH so
/usr/local/bin comes before other directories in the search path.

Stefan