qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] AVMF & OVMF blobs in QEMU tree???

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] AVMF & OVMF blobs in QEMU tree???
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 18:51:28 +0200

On 08/07/17 16:40, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 7 August 2017 at 15:31, Igor Mammedov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> As I recall there were issues with FAT driver licensing in edk2,
>> but I've heard there were some changes in that regard.
>>
>> Is there any other reasons why we are not putting subj.
>> in QEMU tree like we do with SeaBIOS and other roms?
>
> I suspect the primary answer is "nobody who's willing to
> maintain, test and update the resulting binary blobs has
> stepped forward to say they want to do so" :-)
>
> (I think that shipping them in the QEMU tree would be
> nice but is principally a convenience for our direct
> users, since distros are going to want to build their
> own ROM blobs from source anyway.)

I agree that OVMF and ArmVirtQemu firmware binaries (and matching
varstore templates, likely compressed) should be bundled with QEMU.
There are no license-related reasons left that would prevent this.

Please let us discuss this when Gerd returns from vacation. (CC'ing Gerd.)

NB, upstream edk2 does not do releases. Similarly to iPXE -- edk2 is
production quality at all times! /me ducks ;)

Thanks
Laszlo