qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 7/7] hw/misc/mmio_interface: Return after error_s

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 7/7] hw/misc/mmio_interface: Return after error_setg() to avoid crash
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 12:45:16 +0100

On 14 August 2017 at 12:07, Michael Tokarev <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Thomas Huth <address@hidden>
>
> QEMU currently abort()s if the user tries to specify the mmio_interface
> device without parameters:
>
> x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -nographic -device mmio_interface
> qemu-system-x86_64: /home/thuth/devel/qemu/util/error.c:57: error_setv:
>  Assertion `*errp == ((void *)0)' failed.
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> This happens because the realize function is trying to set the errp
> twice in this case. After setting an error, the realize function
> should immediately return instead.

It seems like it should be an error to permit this to be
created from the command line at all -- the device is intended
only as an internal implementation detail of the memory system,
and it has a PROP_PTR property which can't be sensibly set
from the command line.

This patch is a correct fix for an immediate problem, but we should disable
using this via -device somehow.

thanks
-- PMM