qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Number of usable slots in PCIe Root Port / PCIe Switch

From: Andrea Bolognani
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Number of usable slots in PCIe Root Port / PCIe Switch Downstream Port
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 10:54:01 +0200

On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 23:16 +0300, Marcel Apfelbaum wrote:
> > Is such a configuration considered valid?
>
> Definitely no.
>
> > Or should
> > libvirt and the guest OS / firmware start allowing it?
>
> I thought libvirt does not allow it anyway and yes, is a bug,
> but considered low priority.

That's correct, libvirt knows those controllers only have
a single slot and will prevent you from adding more than
one device to them. So no change needed there.

IIUC Lukáš is using QEMU directly in (some parts of)
Avocado, so I imagine emitting an error rather than
silently accepting an invalid configuration would save
him some debugging time :) But he knows not to do that
now, so I guess low priority sounds about right.

Thanks for clarifying!