qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Make test

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Make test
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:41:46 +0100

On 25 August 2017 at 10:33, Fam Zheng <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 08/25 10:10, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> The problem is that we don't have a good framework for building
>> guest binaries to run under TCG. We should sort out one of those
>> so that it's easy for a new test to say "this is the .c file,
>> build it with an ARM gcc [eg using our docker stuff], then
>> run it with this QEMU command". When we have that it should
>> be straightforward to convert the 'make test' tests to use
>> that, and they can be run under 'make check'.
>
> This seems straigtforward to do with docker. Could you elaborate a concrete
> example of one of the "this is the .c file, ..." test so I can try translate
> it
> to a Makefile rule using our docker images?

tests/tcg/hello-i386.c is probably a good place to start.
It wants to be built with an i386 compiler like so:
i386-linux-gcc -nostdlib -Wall -O2 -g -fno-strict-aliasing -static  -o
hello-i386 hello-i386.c
and then run with
qemu-i386 ./hello-i386
which should print "Hello World".

There's also a hello-arm which you can build with
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -Wall -g -O2 -marm -c -o hello-arm.o hello-arm.c
arm-linux-gnueabihf-ld -o hello-arm hello-arm.o
and run with
qemu-arm ./hello-arm
to print "Hello World". (You can probably compile and link in one
step, but for some reason tests/tcg/Makefile is doing it with
two steps.)

thanks
-- PMM