qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] S390 bios breaks in qemu 2.10.rc3

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] S390 bios breaks in qemu 2.10.rc3
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:35:22 +0200

On 28.08.2017 09:18, Christian Borntraeger wrote:

> On 08/25/2017 10:29 AM, Cornelia Huck wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:21:58 +0200
>> Christian Borntraeger <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Yes. I am out of office today, so for any aligned(8) patch
>>> Acked-by: Christian Borntraeger <address@hidden>
>>> even for 2.10.
>>
>> I fear the 2.10 train has already left the station, but any aligned(8)
>> patch should be cc:stable.
>
> I think this could be a topic for QEMU summit. Our process of not allowing
> fixes in rcx without requiring an rc(x+1) seems a bit odd. The Linux kernel
> style (there are fixes between the last rc and release) seems more balanced
> as long as we establish some safety nets.

This sounds like a good idea to me, yes. And maybe we could also ease
the situation a little bit by providing the first stable .1 release
already two or three weeks after the .0 release [*] ? Then these "we are
not 100% sure whether this is a severe blocker or not" patches could
simply be provided to the public with that .1 release instead of
blocking the QEMU master branch in freeze state...

 Thomas

[*] I know that means more additional work for Michael - sorry for that
... but at least we should talk about this, I think. Maybe someone else
could also help with the releases if it's too much work for one person?