qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-discuss] Accessing a shared folder

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-discuss] Accessing a shared folder
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 13:00:49 +0100

On 30 August 2017 at 12:38, Mahmood <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello again,I installed 2.5.0 quickly and it was pretty straight forward!
>
> Here is the error message I get regarding the 'virtio-9p-pci'
> 'virtio-9p-pci' is not a valid device model name

Are you building your own QEMU binary or is it from somewhere
else? I wonder if it was built without support for the 9p
filesystem code. For this to be enabled:
 * host machine must be Linux
 * system building QEMU must have libcap development package installed

If you're building it yourself then you can pass configure
'--enable-virtfs' which will mean configure will stop with
an error if it can't enable virtfs rather than just disabling
this optional feature.

QEMU ought to produce a helpful error if you try to use -virtfs
when virtfs wasn't compiled in, but it may be that this check
was broken accidentally at some point.

Also, 2.5.0 is a couple of years old, you might try with 2.9.0
(or even with the 2.10.0 we're about to release today).

thanks
-- PMM