qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: changing ROM bundling in tar dists for releases

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: changing ROM bundling in tar dists for releases
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:47:59 -0300

[...]> There are the following options I see

   1. Keep existing dist, and add a new minimal one

        qemu-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - qemu source + bundled ROMS + libs
        qemu-minimal-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - qemu source only

      Least impact for current non-distro users, distros just switch.

   2. Change existing dist, and add a new one with everything

        qemu-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - qemu source only
        qemu-full-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - qemu source + bundled ROMS + libs

      Non-distro users need to download a different dist from what they
      have known previously, but otherwise unchanged build process.

   3. Change existing dist, and add a new one with bundled bits

        qemu-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - qemu source only
        qemu-addons-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - bundled ROMS + libs

      Non-distro users need to manually download & install an
      extra piece compared to now.

Debian style:

linux-kbuild-4.9 - Kbuild infrastructure for Linux 4.9
linux-kbuild-4.12 - Kbuild infrastructure for Linux 4.12
linux-source - Linux kernel source (meta-package)
linux-source-4.12 - Linux kernel source for version 4.12 with Debian patches
firmware-linux - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package) firmware-linux-nonfree - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-package) firmware-misc-nonfree - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
firmware-zd1211 - binary firmware for the zd1211rw wireless driver
firmware-bnx2 - Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtremeII
qemu-efi - UEFI firmware for 64-bit ARM virtual machines
grub-firmware-qemu - GRUB firmware image for QEMU
ipxe-qemu - PXE boot firmware - ROM images for qemu
ovmf - UEFI firmware for 64-bit x86 virtual machines
vgabios - VGA BIOS software for the Bochs and Qemu emulated VGA card
seabios - Legacy BIOS implementation
sgabios - bios option rom to provide legacy serial console for x86

$ apt-cache show qemu-system-x86
Package: qemu-system-x86
Provides: qemu-system-i386, qemu-system-x86-64
Suggests: samba, vde2, qemu-block-extra, kmod, sgabios, ovmf

$ apt-cache show qemu-system-arm
Recommends: qemu-utils, ipxe-qemu, qemu-efi

This seems to me the cleaner one, the distrib choose to provide dependencies in the package description, a package to build, and keep exclusive licenses in different packages.

   4. Change existing dist, never distribute bundled ROMs + libs at all

        qemu-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2 - qemu source only

      Only here for completeness, not a serious suggestion

Linux style :)

   5. Change nothing

      Continue ignoring the problem I aim to solve.

My patch did option 2, but I really open to any of 1/2/3 without a
strong preference, as long as we can get some agreement on one. I
guess option 1 might be easiest to get agreement on given its minimal
impact.

It would be easier to have people building from sources to answer but they usually don't read this list, you might want to ask on qemu-stable.

Regards,

Phil.