qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS 'move' insn emulation

From: Sergey Smolov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS 'move' insn emulation
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 17:16:46 +0300

On 14.09.2017 16:58, Peter Maydell wrote:
At translate time it is generating some extra code which at runtime
will call the helper_trace_reg_access() function, passing it the
values in the registers at this point. This will result in poor
performance if you do it for frequently executed instructions.

Ok, thank you.

That looks like it ought to work. Check you really did save all your
files in your editor before compiling? :-)

Yes, I did. These warnings are very suspicious, because they come with strange numbers of MIPS GPR registers that I receive for my program.

Here is the program:

.text
    addiu $8, $zero, 0x7
    move $9, $8
    sll $8, $8, 3
    add $8, $8, $9

Here is the log that helper functions provide:

$0 00000007
$7 00000007
$0 00000038
$0 0000003f

The first value is register name, the second is the value to be written. Values are ok, but I expect to see $8 and $9 registers here.

PS: there's no point passing the env pointer into the function if
you're not going to use it...

I thought that I need to pass env pointer to helper function because of some convention. Again, thank you for the note.

--
Sincerely yours,
Sergey Smolov