qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What is the status of the QEMU sound rework?

From: Zir Blazer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What is the status of the QEMU sound rework?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 08:25:06 +0000

> > Fundamental issue is that right now there is not really someone paying

> > attention to audio in qemu.
> >
> > I'm currently the maintainer, but due to also being busy with other
> > stuff I hardly find time to do anything beyond picking up fixes from
> > the mailing list, maybe do some basic testing (depending on the kind of
> > patches) and do a audio pull request now and then.
> >

> > I suspect the problems are more in the qemu audio backends.  The issues
> > seem to be different depending on which backend you use.  So creating a
> > paravirtual sound card may not be the solution for that problem ...

Thanks for your reply.

The guy from reddit whose Thread I linked in the previous mail has done a bit
more work, and his current status is this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/74vokw/improved_pulse_audio_driver_for_qemu/

He identified some issues with the QEMU audio backend, and according to the
testers, his fixes seems to be working.

As it is probable that he eventually upstreams something, you may want to be
interesed in checking his work. I know that you just said that you don't have
time, but since audio improvements for QEMU seems to have been stuck for some
years, it may be important to be proactive now that there is people interesed
and working in the issue, as to not lose this rare momentum.