qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] German BSI analysed security of KVM / QEMU

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] German BSI analysed security of KVM / QEMU
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:30:32 +0200

Am 13.10.2017 um 11:37 schrieb Cornelia Huck:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:10:05 +0200
> Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the German Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik
>> (Federal Office for Information Security) published a study on
>> the security of KVM and QEMU:
>>
>> https://www.bsi.bund.de/DE/Publikationen/Studien/Sicherheitsanalyse_KVM/sicherheitsanalyse_kvm.html
>>
>> (article only available in German)
> Thanks for posting this!
>
> I only looked at the conclusion for now. Some interesting points:
>
> - They state that QEMU's source code is well structured, readable and
>   maintainable. I wonder what kind of source code they usually deal
>   with ;)
> - Most problems noted seemed to be related to signed<->unsigned
>   conversions, but none were found to be exploitable.
> - They liked hardening via stack protection, NX, and ASLR, as well as
>   the mechanisms used by libvirt.
> - They generally seemed to be happy with QEMU being deployed via
>   libvirt.
> - Restrictions imposed via KVM (guest access to some CPU registers)
>   scored positive points. They did not like that Hyper-V and PMU were
>   not deconfigurable.
> - Lack of support for encryption/signing of network-based images was
>   criticized. They ended up using Ceph and GlusterFS, which they were
>   reasonably happy with.
>
> That's just from a quick browse.

I already found some weaknesses in the study:

* It makes the wrong assumption that all maintainers have write access
to the git repository. (chapter 5.3)
* It does not mention important quality measures like Coverity Scan,
Continuous Integration and automated tests.

So QEMU is even better than the BSI thinks. :-)

Stefan