qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 4/6] CLI: add -paused option

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 4/6] CLI: add -paused option
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:56:28 +0200

On 10/17/17 10:17, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:35:15 +0100
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 06:22:54PM +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:
>>
>> This really needs to have a commit message that provides justification
>> for why this option is needed when we already have -S that is used
>> to allow configuration before the guest starts.
> Sorry, I've should have added here what I've tried to describe in cover
> letter.
>
> -S pauses machine too late as machine is already created by the time
> it's paused so trying to reconfigure it might require machine to be recreated.
> In case of NUMA options it might be possible to hack x86 target to
> rebuild/override acpi/fw_cfg so it would reflect the new settings set
> this late but I wouldn't expect that it would work in general.
>
> The cleanest way to configure it is pausing and configuring numa mapping
> before machine is build.

Asking from the sideline: if the NUMA mapping has to be configured so
early, why can't it be done on the QEMU command line?

(I asked myself the same question when I first saw your patches -- I
couldn't find an explanation in the blurb --, so I assumed it was
obvious and/or others would ask the same question.)

Again, I'm just curious.

Thanks!
Laszlo