qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QMP, HMP: introduce 'writeconfig' command

From: Vadim Galitsyn
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QMP, HMP: introduce 'writeconfig' command
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 17:13:06 +0200

Hi Guys,

This thread is a continuation of discussion started in
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-02/msg03182.html.

This series introduces ‘writeconfig’ command support for QMP and HMP monitors.
This functionality might be useful for live migration for cases when guest
configuration was modified in runtime (for example as a result of hot-
plug/unplug operations) and actual Qemu command line no longer reflects setup
exposed to guest.

Original series has ‘qemu_opts’ patch as well
(http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-02/msg03183.html) because
HMP’s ‘object_add’ result was not reflected in ‘writeconfig’ output. Later I
found that QMP’s ‘object-add’ has the same issue. Anyway, I don’t include
‘qemu_opts’ patches here because Markus mentioned (here
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-02/msg03476.html) that
this functionality is going to be reworked in some future and such patches
might collide with the rework process.

Markus, could you please post if you have an update on this topic? Current
‘master’ branch (9993c82dc2f5ce58b41d708b765e1a717ad4281d) still has the issue.

Also, Markus mentioned that once configuration was changed during live
migration -- it might be an issue because ‘writeconfig’ data became outdated
(and might be make sense to think about to embed this data into migration
stream itself). In the same time David said that this is another problem which
is unrelated to this patch series. What is your current opinion on this topic?
Can we consider these patches to be included into ‘master’ taking into account
that not all configuration is dumped by ‘writeconfig’ (‘object_add’ problem),
but this can be fixed later?

Best regards,
Vadim