qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu disk use writeback don't take effect in centos 7.2

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu disk use writeback don't take effect in centos 7.2 1511
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 09:10:45 +0000

* Paul Schlacter (address@hidden) wrote:
> latest progress:
> use centos 7.2   https://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/
> test version: 1511  1601  1604 1606 1608
>
> From the above version in turn test, found the previous version 1511 1601
> 1603 have the problem,
> The latter two versions 1606 1608 are normal, dont't have the prblem,
> Normal is cache = writeback io significantly higher than none mode
>
> why?

It's a fun bug, but I don't know the cause - the fact it's dependent
on guest version but fixed, suggests something changed in the guest
kernel.  If you really wanted to figure out why I guess the only way
would be to walk through the CentOS guest kernel versions and find the
exact kernel that fixed it; then we could hunt down which change fixed
it.

(I've cc'd in Stefan for block stuff, but this is sounding more guest
than qemu)

Dave