qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] HAXM is now open source

From: Yu Ning
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] HAXM is now open source
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:25:18 +0800

On 11/15/2017 3:13, John Snow wrote:

On 11/14/2017 06:09 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:

That's great news! I hope this all will help to promote QEMU on Windows
and macOS quite a bit!

However, during the past months, I noticed a couple of times that users
ask on IRC or the qemu-discuss mailing list how they could accelerate
their QEMU on Windows - and they are running only in TCG mode when you
ask how they start QEMU. So it seems like there is not much knowledge
about "--accel hax" in the public yet. Maybe you could write a nice blog
post for the QEMU blog or something similar that explains how to use
HAXM with QEMU on Windows for the normal users? Or maybe make it more
prominent in the QEMU wiki? (e.g. the main page only mentions KVM and
Xen, but not HAXM)
A blog post advertising this new development would be an absolute
miracle for linking to people who are just getting started with QEMU on
Windows.

(It would also be really good for idiots like me, who do not use Windows
for anything other than playing video games and sometimes forget that it
is capable of doing other things.)

Thanks for the encouragement.

I think I can start by writing a small section that can be added to an existing document, and later expanded to a blog article. But I haven't found a suitable place for it on the QEMU wiki.

Does it make sense to add the proposed piece to the QEMU user manual (qemu-doc.texi), under the Quick Start section (2.2)? The user manual is published on Stefan's website and referred to by qemu.org:

https://qemu.weilnetz.de/doc/qemu-doc.html

so I think it's a popular resource among users.

BTW, I assume most Windows users begin their QEMU journey from this page (also credit to Stefan):

https://qemu.weilnetz.de/

and I've verified the hax accelerator module is built into the latest binaries there (at least the W64 ones).

-Yu