qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] pc, pci, virtio: fixes for rc1

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] pc, pci, virtio: fixes for rc1
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 16:13:44 +0000

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 04:10:22PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 16 November 2017 at 15:56, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think that patch is merely exposing a failure that has always
> >> happened, but which we've never noticed before. So dropping that
> >> patch just hides the error again, doesn't fix the error.
>
> > We shouldn't fail test if system can't load expected files.
> > This just will trip up people trying to build qemu.
>
> If there are known-buggy iasl versions in the wild we could
> consider a configure test and treat buggy-iasl like no-iasl.

iasl has long been broken on big-endian, but it has also long contained
code that simply makes it exit immediately in that case, and qemu copes
with that. So if there's buggy iasl it would be a distro which removed
this big-endian check and tried to make it work on big-endian but failed.
Fedora tried the latter, but at least in rawhide it works properly now.
I'm unclear if we shipped broken iasl with the BE check removed in stable
versions though

Regards,
Daniel