qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] why need to start all queues in vhost_net_st

From: Longpeng (Mike)
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] why need to start all queues in vhost_net_start
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 13:43:15 +0800

On 2017/11/17 12:32, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 08:04:34PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
>>

>> On 2017年11月16日 17:32, Longpeng (Mike) wrote:
>>> Hi Jason,

>>> I think this doesn't matter, but QEMU should consider this scenario...
>>>
>>> For example, if one queues isn't initialized (Windows guest), the
>>> vring.avail=0,
>>> so vq->desc_phys=0, then vq->desc='a avail HVA'(which is the start addr of
>>> pc.ram).
>>>
>>>      vq->desc_size = s = l = virtio_queue_get_desc_size(vdev, idx);
>>>      vq->desc_phys = a = virtio_queue_get_desc_addr(vdev, idx);
>>>      vq->desc = vhost_memory_map(dev, a, &l, 0);
>>>      if (!vq->desc || l != s) {
>>>          r = -ENOMEM;
>>>          goto fail_alloc_desc;
>>>      }
>>>      r = vhost_virtqueue_set_addr(dev, vq, vhost_vq_index,
>>> dev->log_enabled);
>>>      if (r < 0) {
>>>          r = -errno;
>>>          goto fail_alloc;
>>>      }
>>>
>>> Then the HVA is send to the vhost-user.
>>>
>>> I think this is wrong, because the '0' here means guest driver doesn't init
>>> this
>>> queues, it should not be used to calculate the HVA for this vq.
>>
>> Yes, workaround is not hard if windows driver won't use the left 3 queues
>> any more. But we should have a complete solution. The main problem is when
>> vhost need to be started. For legacy device, there's no easy way to detect
>> whether or not a specific virtqueue is ready to be used. For modern device,
>> we can probably do this through queue_enable (but this is not implemented in
>> current code).
>>
>> Thanks
>
> What isn't implemented?
>
> Spec is quite explicit:
>

> Client must only process each ring when it is started.
>
> Client must only pass data between the ring and the
> backend, when the ring is enabled.
>
> and later:
>

> Client must start ring upon receiving a kick (that is, detecting that file
> descriptor is readable) on the descriptor specified by
> VHOST_USER_SET_VRING_KICK, and stop ring upon receiving
> VHOST_USER_GET_VRING_BASE.
>

> Does someone kick unused rings? What entity does this?

Hi Michael,

Maybe you don't get our point, so let me be clear. :)

Suppose there is a VM with 4 vcpus and 7 queues (vhost-user backend), the
Windows guest will only initialize the first 4 queues, so in QEMU the addresses
of the desc/avail/used tables of last 3 queues are all ZERO (initial value).

However QEMU will start all 7 queues, please look at the codes below:
'''
vhost_net_start
  for (i = 0; i < total_queues; i++) // start all 7 queues
    vhost_net_start_one
      vhost_dev_start
        vhost_virtqueue_start
'''

In vhost_virtqueue_start(), it will use the ZERO to calculate a corresponding
HVA for the last 3 queues and then send to the backend ( by
vhost_virtqueue_set_addr() ).

So our issue here is: the ZERO here means guest doesn't initialize the last 3
queues, so it needn't to calculate the HVA for them and send to then backend.

But, there is no issue on Linux guest, because Linux driver will initialize the
desc/avail/used tables for all 7 queues (even if it only uses the first 4
queues).

Jason has already get our point, now we need to obtain more information about
Windows virtio-net driver from Yan.

--
Regards,
Longpeng(Mike)