qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 3.0 ?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU 3.0 ?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 13:57:02 +0000

On 23 November 2017 at 13:51, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 23/11/2017 14:13, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> On 23 November 2017 at 13:02, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> In theory I don't like it either (and I hadn't thought about it until
>>> today).  In practice, qemu-kvm is not going away from
>>> blogs/scripts/tutorials in a decade, so we might as well embrace it...
>> Isn't this distro-specific? In ubuntu by default there isn't
>> any wrapper, and if you do install the optional 'qemu-kvm' package
>> the wrapper it provides is /usr/bin/kvm, not /usr/bin/qemu-kvm.
>
> Fedora also has no wrapper in the qemu-system-x86 package, and only
> "qemu-kvm" installs one.  In practice if you install the virtualization
> package group you get it.  What about Ubuntu?

Well, I didn't have the qemu-kvm package installed until I
pulled it in to check the wrapper name.

My point is more that if there's no consensus between distros
about what the wrapper script name should be then as upstream
if we provide a qemu-kvm then we might be helping Fedora/RedHat
but we're just increasing confusion for those distros that
used a different name or have already transitioned away from
the wrapper entirely.

thanks
-- PMM