qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] javac crash in user-mode emulation: races on page_unpro

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] javac crash in user-mode emulation: races on page_unprotect()
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 15:47:58 +0100

On 27 November 2017 at 15:38, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 24/11/2017 18:18, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>  * threads A & B both try to do a write to a page with code in it at
>>    the same time (ie which we've made non-writeable, so SEGV)
>>  * they race into the signal handler with this faulting address
>>  * thread A happens to get to page_unprotect() first and takes the
>>    mmap lock, so thread B sits waiting for it to be done
>>  * A then finds the page, marks it PAGE_WRITE and mprotect()s it writable
>>  * A can then continue OK (returns from signal handler to retry the
>>    memory access)
>>  * ...but when B gets the mmap lock it finds that the page is already
>>    PAGE_WRITE, and so it exits page_unprotect() via the "not due to
>>    protected translation" code path, and wrongly delivers the signal
>>    to the guest rather than just retrying the access
>>
>> I'm not sure how best to fix this. We could make page_unprotect()
>> say "if PAGE_WRITE is set, assume this call raced with another one
>> and say 'this was caused by protected translation' without doing
>> anything".
>
> Yes, I think this is the only solution since SIGSEGV is raised
> asynchronously.  Even using a trylock would only narrow the race window
> but not fix it.

I have a patch from rth based on an idea he and I came up with:
we add a field to the PageDesc struct to store the thread id of
the thread that last touches the flags. If you come into the
segv handler and the page flags/last-modified-by field say "should be
writeable and somebody else updated it" then you mark the page as
"last modified by this thread" and retry the access. If the
flags say "should be writeable, last modified by this thread"
then you know the page state hasn't changed since this thread
last saw it as "definitely not causing segvs because of cached TBs",
and so that should be passed on as a guest SEGV.

thanks
-- PMM