qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] glibc "linux: spawni.c: simplify error reporting to par

From: Adhemerval Zanella
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] glibc "linux: spawni.c: simplify error reporting to parent" breaks qemu-user/Windows Service For Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 14:25:55 -0200

> On 11/27/2017 05:07 PM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:> However I am not very
> compelled to change internal posix_spawn
>> on GLIBC on Linux mainly because it uses a slight less resources
>> than the generic POSIX one (check e83be730910c) and it works
>> on Linux kernel as expected.
>
> But it breaks QEMU and Microsoft Windows Services for Linux who -
> combined together - are certainly not a small number of users.

You can bring this to libc-alpha, but I am not sure how other
maintainers will see to limit the possible Linux API glibc can use
because of potentially unsupported semantics of non default emulation
layers.

I personally do not see it a good precedence because we can't really
foretell what kind of kernel ABI or semantic the non default
emulation runtime will support or not, so we can't really plan to
set what will break or not depending of the underlying emulation.

> Isn't there any workaround we can use for the time being?
>
> Adrian

Maybe recompile glibc with the posix implementation instead of the
Linux one. If I recall correctly it should be a workable replacement.