qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Block layer complexity: what to do to keep it under con

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Block layer complexity: what to do to keep it under control?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 12:32:36 +0000

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:55:02AM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> So in principle, what should we do to make the block layer easy to understand,
> develop with and debug? I think we have opportunities in these aspects:
>
> - Documentation
>
>   There is no central developer doc about block layer, especially how all
> pieces
>   fit together. Having one will make it a lot easier for new contributors to
>   understand better. Of course, we're facing the old problem: the code is
>   moving, maintaining an updated document needs effort.
>
>   Idea: add ./doc/deve/block.txt?

When I was writing the LUKS block driver one of the bug problems I had was
understanding the internal BlockDriver APIs, as there's almost a complete
lack of any API documentation for them. So I would strongly like to see
inline API documentation in the header files to describe the APIs. eg more
of this:

  commit b461151ff31c7925f271c297e8abed20231ac7d3