qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Block layer complexity: what to do to keep it under con

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Block layer complexity: what to do to keep it under control?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 18:16:44 +0800

On Thu, 11/30 14:19, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 05:47:09PM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > On Wed, 11/29 12:00, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > > On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 11:55:02AM +0800, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > >
> > > Event loops and coroutines are good but they should not be used directly
> > > by block drivers and block jobs.  We need safe, high-level APIs that
> > > implement commonly-used operations.

> > > IOThreads and AioContexts are addressed here:
> > > docs/devel/multiple-iothreads.txt
> > >
> > > The game has become significantly more complex than what the document
> > > describes.  It's lacking aio_co_wake() and aio_co_schedule() for
> > > example.

> > > A reimplementation will not solve the problem because:
> > >
> > > 1. If it still has the same feature set and requirements then the level
> > >    of complexity will be comparable.
> > >
> > > 2. We can reduce accidental (inessential) complexity by continuing the
> > >    various efforts around the block graph, block jobs, multi-queue block
> > >    layer with an eye towards higher level APIs.
> >
> > Starting over is certainly not the motivation to do qemu-vhost, but it
> > would be
> > an opportunity to use different async/concurrency paradigms if that is
> > going to
> > happen. I think in current block layer, event loop + coroutine is a good
> > combination, but having nested aio_poll()'s made it worse, then mixing
> > IOThreads
> > in makes it a lot more complicated.
>
> Why alternative model are you thinking of?

To utilize whatever is offered in the different language. In particular I've
heard good things about rust (without programming it myself) that doing
concurrency correctly is easier with it. We'll probably lose all the good bits
about coroutine (unlike what is special in Go), but I expects using simpler
concurrency models (IOW threads only) can lead to simpler code. (I have no
problem with coroutine excpet the debuggability problem I pointed out, which
hopefully can be solved by writing more gdb extensions.)

Another thing about rust is it can call into C code so maybe the change can be
done incrementally like suggested by Dan in his libvirt discussion about using
Go:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2017-November/msg00528.html

> One slight change is to make everything run in a coroutine so that there
> are no while (aio_poll()) loops.  Instead the caller would yield.

Yes I fully agree this is a good idea that we should try.

Fam