qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] in a device or CPU instance init/realize, can I rely on

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] in a device or CPU instance init/realize, can I rely on something having the BQL or equivalent?
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 17:26:53 +0000

On 7 December 2017 at 17:13, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 7 December 2017 at 17:07, Eduardo Habkost <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I don't think instance_init is appropriate for that, as
>> object_free(object_new(t)) must be always safe to call and free
>> of side-effects for all types.  Wouldn't it work if you do that
>> on realize?
>
> I think we need the information before realize, but I'll double
> check.

We do need the information before realize, because the probe
is what tells us what feature bits we need to set, and the
ARM instance_post_init hook needs to look at those to determine
eg which other feature bits to set and which QOM properties to
expose as a result, and all that has to happen at init time,
not realize time.

thanks
-- PMM