qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Debugging io deadlock

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Debugging io deadlock
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 11:01:44 +0000

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 07:35:36PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 08:22:48PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> I don't really know what to look for
> so if anyone has any more ideas then please share.

I don't have a specific idea, but two general techniques for debugging
guest hangs:

1. Enable tracing or add printfs to monitor hardware register writes and
   interrupts.  This way you can figure out which devices were most
   recently accessed.  They are probably involved in the hang.

2. Peek at QEMU device state from GDB.  For example, look at virtio
   device vrings to see which requests are currently in-flight.

Stefan