qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Call for GSoC & Outreachy 2018 mentors & project ideas

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Call for GSoC & Outreachy 2018 mentors & project ideas
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:52:48 +0000

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 9:45 PM, Alistair Francis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Can anyone who has done this before chime in.
>
> What do you think about getting someone to cleanup and improve the GDB
> support in QEMU? Would that be the right difficulty of task for a GSoC
> project?

There is not enough information to give feedback on whether this
project idea is suitable.  What are the specific tasks you'd like the
student to work on?

In general, I'm sure there are well-defined 12-week project ideas
around the GDB stub.  New features are easy to propose and are usually
well-defined (e.g. implement these commands that are documented in the
GDB protocol documentation).  Cleaning up code is less clear and it
would depend on exactly what needs to be done.  Interns will not have
a background in the QEMU codebase and may not be able to make
judgements about how to structure things, so I would be more careful
about refactoring/cleanup projects.

Please see my talk about QEMU GSoC for guidelines on project ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNVCX7YMUL8&t=19m11s
http://vmsplice.net/~stefan/stefanha-kvm-forum-2016.pdf

Hope this helps,
Stefan