qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [RFC] qid path collision issues in 9pfs

From: Antonios Motakis
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] qid path collision issues in 9pfs
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:32:10 +0800

Hello all,

We have found an issue in the 9p implementation of QEMU, with how qid paths are
generated, which can cause qid path collisions and several issues caused by
them. In our use case (running containers under VMs) these have proven to be
critical.

In particular, stat_to_qid in hw/9pfs/9p.c generates a qid path using the inode
number of the file as input. According to the 9p spec the path should be able
to uniquely identify a file, distinct files should not share a path value.

The current implementation that defines qid.path = inode nr works fine as long
as there are not files from multiple partitions visible under the 9p share. In
that case, distinct files from different devices are allowed to have the same
inode number. So with multiple partitions, we have a very high probability of
qid path collisions.

How to demonstrate the issue:
1) Prepare a problematic share:
 - mount one partition under share/p1/ with some files inside
 - mount another one *with identical contents* under share/p2/
 - confirm that both partitions have files with same inode nr, size, etc
2) Demonstrate breakage:
 - start a VM with a virtio-9p pointing to the share
 - mount 9p share with FSCACHE on
 - keep open share/p1/file
 - open and write to share/p2/file

What should happen is, the guest will consider share/p1/file and share/p2/file
to be the same file, and since we are using the cache it will not reopen it. We
intended to write to partition 2, but we just wrote to partition 1. This is
just one example on how the guest may rely on qid paths being unique.

In the use case of containers where we commonly have a few containers per VM,
all based on similar images, these kind of qid path collisions are very common
and they seem to cause all kinds of funny behavior (sometimes very subtle).

To avoid this situation, the device id of a file needs to be also taken as
input for generating a qid path. Unfortunately, the size of both inode nr +
device id together would be 96 bits, while we have only 64 bits for the qid
path, so we can't just append them and call it a day :(

We have thought of a few approaches, but we would definitely like to hear what
the upstream maintainers and community think:

* Full fix: Change the 9p protocol

We would need to support a longer qid path, based on a virtio feature flag.
This would take reworking of host and guest parts of virtio-9p, so both QEMU
and Linux for most users.

* Fallback and/or interim solutions

A virtio feature flag may be refused by the guest, so we think we still need to
make collisions less likely even with 64 bit paths. E.g.
1. XOR the device id with inode nr to produce the qid path (we attach a proof
of concept patch)
2. 64 bit hash of device id and inode nr
3. other ideas, such as allocating new qid paths and keep a look up table of
some sorts (possibly too expensive)

With our proof of concept patch, the issues caused by qid path collisions go
away, so it can be seen as an interim solution of sorts. However, the chance of
collisions is not eliminated, we are just replacing the current strategy, which
is almost guaranteed to cause collisions in certain use cases, with one that
makes them more rare. We think that a virtio feature flag for longer qid paths
is the only way to eliminate these issues completely.

This is the extent that we were able to analyze the issue from our side, we
would like to hear if there are some better ideas, or which approach would be
more appropriate for upstream.

Best regards,

--
Antonios Motakis