qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/1] Dump patches

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/1] Dump patches
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 08:56:47 -0600

On 01/19/2018 08:35 AM, Marc-Andre Lureau wrote:

>>> The commit says it works with python 2.7, but we still require support
>>> for python 2.6.  Is this pull request premature?
>>
>> So should I apply this, or not?
>
> I have not found how to translate a python 'buffer' to a bytes string
> in 2.6. For now, I think we should go with this patch, it's already an
> improvement..

Argument in favor of applying: dump-guest-memory.py is not run as part
of the build process, nor during 'make check'; rather, it is an add-on
script for developer convenience after installation.  If we apply the
patch, we break developers on machines using python 2.6, but fix things
for developers on machines with python 3 - and as time (and Fedora
rawhide) march on, the balance swings in favor of the latter.

I personally am not enough of a python expert to propose a fix that
works across all versions supported by configure, but it was Marc-Andre
reminding me on IRC that this is not a build script, so it can have
different standards than our build when it comes to portability.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266