qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Functional tests (AKA Avocado-based tests)

From: Alistair Francis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Functional tests (AKA Avocado-based tests)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 15:38:08 -0800

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 8:34 AM, Cleber Rosa <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 02/01/2018 07:10 PM, Alistair Francis wrote:

>>> Thanks for checking it out, and for the positive words.  Now, sorry if
>>> I'm missing some obvious information, but is this work of yours with
>>> pytest/pexpect publicly available?  I'd like to also take a look at
>>> that, because it does look similar to the Avocado + aexpect approach
>>> taken here.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's not and it would take months for us to be able to
>> make it available.
>>

> I see.

>>> We currently intend to *add* to the QEMU test infrastructure, not
>>> replace it.
>>
>> Is there a benefit of integrating it into the tree then? It's always
>> possible to have an out of tree testing framework.
>>

> Upstream first is just the general modus operandi that we have.  Then,
> we want to have as much testing as possible as early as possible.
>
> Finally, by having tests in-tree, they can be seen in different light.
> What I mean is that when tests are in-tree, they will (or should) really
> map to the current state of the code they test (per commit).  If a
> feature changes behavior upstream, the respective test will also need a
> change at the same time, and as such, will mean an *intended* change and
> not a regression.  With out-of-tree tests, it's pretty hard to keep this
> synchronization and regressions will slip in, *at least* for some time.
>
> I guess the question here is actually the opposite: do you see any
> problems with in-tree tests?  Since you keep out of tree tests, I would
> honestly like to hear about your experience.

For us the main reason is that we want to avoid editing the fork as
much as possible, so we aren't going to add tests to our fork.

The other main advantage I see is that it allows the tests to be
updated more easily as the changes don't need to go through the more
rigorous QEMU review process.

You are correct though that synchronisation is an issue.

Alistair