qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Functional tests (AKA Avocado-based tests)

From: Lukáš Doktor
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Functional tests (AKA Avocado-based tests)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 15:38:40 +0100

Dne 9.2.2018 v 00:41 Alistair Francis napsal(a):
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Alistair Francis <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I see.

>>> Upstream first is just the general modus operandi that we have.  Then,
>>> we want to have as much testing as possible as early as possible.
>>>
>>> Finally, by having tests in-tree, they can be seen in different light.
>>> What I mean is that when tests are in-tree, they will (or should) really
>>> map to the current state of the code they test (per commit).  If a
>>> feature changes behavior upstream, the respective test will also need a
>>> change at the same time, and as such, will mean an *intended* change and
>>> not a regression.  With out-of-tree tests, it's pretty hard to keep this
>>> synchronization and regressions will slip in, *at least* for some time.
>>>
>>> I guess the question here is actually the opposite: do you see any
>>> problems with in-tree tests?  Since you keep out of tree tests, I would
>>> honestly like to hear about your experience.
>>
>> For us the main reason is that we want to avoid editing the fork as
>> much as possible, so we aren't going to add tests to our fork.
>>
>> The other main advantage I see is that it allows the tests to be
>> updated more easily as the changes don't need to go through the more
>> rigorous QEMU review process.
>>
>> You are correct though that synchronisation is an issue.
>
> Actually another thing we can do is run our tests on a known working
> QEMU version with new/different guest images to test other teams work.
> For example we can find Linux bugs by running the latest internal
> Linux kernel builds on our known working master QEMU.
>
> That might be harder to setup and justify with an in tree framework,
> but isn't really a justification to make it out of tree.

Sure, but it means your tests are written the way they work with different qemu
versions. For those we have `avocado-vt` with lots of tests usually written by
QA guys (as Avocado-vt is not easy to start with and does not attract many qemu
developers). The beauty of Avocado_qemu is it's suppose to be very simple to
start with to allow writing simple, specific, usually single-purpose tests,
especially regression, tests that can be easily attached along with the fix.
(at least that's what I see as the main goal)

Regards,
Lukáš