qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu warnings and errors

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu warnings and errors
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:49:38 +0000

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 08:45:00AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 02/20/2018 02:38 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >    Hi,
> >
> > > What version of QEMU?

> > > This part is the only part that urges you to report the error, but I
> > > don't know much about what's going on here.
> > >
> > > Maybe Gerd knows?
> >
> > We had lots of keymap/keycode changes recently, most likely this will be
> > fixed in 2.12, maybe it already is in 2.11.  So, when using something
> > older, try upgrading first (or just ignore it in case it happes to be a
> > key you don't need).
>
> The error message doesn't mention a numeric code or other way to figure out
> which key is problematic.  While this particular message may disappear when
> you upgrade, it would also be worth investigating if this message can give
> more details to figure out which keycode is problematic in case of future
> mismatches, other than just "unnamed".

It isn't about a specific key. This message is basically saying we don't
know what keymapping the X server is using, so we've given up. Historically
QEMU could only identify evdev and/or kbd key mappings. With the newly
merged code, we can now detect many more especially including Windows and
OS-X X11 server mappings. So git master hopefully removed the most common
cases that would trigger this particular error message. There's probably
still some remaining though, as there's a huge range of X11 servers impls
in the world.  With current git master this message will instruct the user
to provide us a list of relevant info to help us diagnose it - see the
end of ui/x_keymap.c file.

Regards,
Daniel