qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mir

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 23:12:42 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
I don't mind either way and don't expect to change this u-boot source
too much in the future so if you just copy it to the qemu repo without
mirroring my repo that's fine as well. (If any change will be needed I
can submit patches for it like for other QEMU parts but this should not
be needed too frequently as this firmware is not developed any further
by upstream so only changes may be bugfixes from QEMU contributors.) But
I can't do that myself so I need help with that. All I could do is to
provide my own repo and refer to that for all else I need your help.

Out of curiosity, why is it not upstream?

See this thread:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-02/msg05221.html
(and those that it refers to; this seems to be everyone's first question, maybe I should add a FAQ in the commit message :-) )

I don't know the details but I guess the hardware vendor who created this fork never bothered to upstream their changes and then u-boot has changed so it's now not even simple to do so any more so this u-boot variant is at a dead end and only needed for this board because guests running on it (some of which are closed source thus cannot be changed) use the services provided by this u-boot version.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan