qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] intel-iommu and vhost: Do we need 'device-iotlb' and 'a

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] intel-iommu and vhost: Do we need 'device-iotlb' and 'ats'?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 15:09:27 +0800

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 06:34:04AM +0000, Jintack Lim wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:10 AM Peter Xu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 12:32:13AM -0500, Jintack Lim wrote:
> > > Hi Peter,
> > >
> > > Hope you had great holidays!

> > virtio-net-pci,bus=pcie.1,netdev=net0,disable-legacy=on,disable-modern=off,iommu_platform=on,ats=on

> > > Oh, I see. I was focusing on how QEMU and vhost work in the host, but
> > > I think I missed the guest part! Thanks. I see that the Intel IOMMU
> > > driver has has_iotlb_device flag for that purpose.

> > > It seems like SMMU is not checking ATS capability - at least
> > > ats_enabled flag - but I may miss something here as well :)

> > > Right. That's what I thought.
> > >
> > > Come to think of it, I'm not sure why we need to flush mappings in
> > > IOMMU and devices separately in the first place... Any thoughts?
> >
> > I don't know ATS much, neither.
> >
> > You can have a look at chap 4 of vt-d spec:
> >
> >         One approach to scaling IOTLBs is to enable I/O devices to
> >         participate in the DMA remapping with IOTLBs implemented at
> >         the devices. The Device-IOTLBs alleviate pressure for IOTLB
> >         resources in the core logic, and provide opportunities for
> >         devices to improve performance by pre-fetching address
> >         translations before issuing DMA requests. This may be useful
> >         for devices with strict DMA latency requirements (such as
> >         isochronous devices), and for devices that have large DMA
> >         working set or multiple active DMA streams.
> >
> > So I think it's for performance's sake. For example, the DMA operation
> > won't need to be translated at all if it's pre-translated, so it can
> > have less latency.  And also, that'll offload some of the translation
> > process so that workload can be more distributed.
> >
> > When with that (caches located both on IOMMU's and device's side), we
> > need to invalidate all the cache when needed.
> >

> Right. I think my question was not clear. My question was that why don’t
> IOMMU invalidate device-iotlb along with its mappings in one go. Then IOMMU
> device driver doesn’t need to flush device-iotlb explicitly. Maybe the
> reason is that ATS and IOMMU are not always coupled.. but I guess it’s time
> for me to get some more background :)

Ah, I see your point.

I don't know the answer.  My wild guess is that IOMMU is just trying
to be simple and only provide most basic functionalities, leaving
complex stuff to CPU.  For example, if IOMMU takes over the ownership
to deliever device-iotlb invalidations when receiving iotlb
invalidations, it possibly needs to traverse the device tree sometimes
(e.g., for domain invalidations) to know what device is under what
domain, which is really compliated.  While it'll be simpler for CPU to
do this since it's very possible that the OS keeps a list of devices
for a domain already.

IMHO that follows the *nix philosophy too - Do One Thing And Do It
Well.  Though again, it's wild guess and I may be wrong. :)

CCing Alex, in case he has quick answers.

--
Peter Xu