qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 18/21] blockjobs: add block-job-finalize

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 18/21] blockjobs: add block-job-finalize
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:14:54 -0500

On 02/28/2018 01:15 PM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Is it because you want to avoid that the user picks an automatic job for
> completing the mixed transaction?

I wanted to avoid the case that a job without the manual property would
be stuck "pending" -- which I have defined to mean that it is waiting on
an authorization from the user -- which isn't really true: it's waiting
on its peers in the transaction to receive that authorization.

It would indeed be simpler to just let them stick around in PENDING like
their peers, but it felt like a hacky way to allow mixed-mode
transactions -- like they had been promoted for just a subset of their
lifetime.

So, mostly it was a semantic decision and not a functional one based on
what I considered "WAITING" to mean vs "PENDING".

If the definitions (and documentation) are adjusted it can be changed
for the simpler layout if it seems just as good from the API
perspective. (It's certainly better implementationally, as you say.)

--js