qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8.2

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8.2
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 12:49:01 +0100

On 08/03/2018 12:18, Michael Clark wrote:
>> There are multiple sign-offs in all
>> 23 commits. The tag is riscv-qemu-upstream-v8.2

Except your cover letter lists 45 commits and, as Daniel has already confirmed,
Peter is right: these commits listed in the cover letter have no sign-off and
have not been reviewed:

      RISC-V - Make virt create_fdt interface consistent with other boards
      RISC-V - Replace hardcoded device-tree constants with enum values
      RISC-V - Make virt board description match spike format
      RISC-V - Use ROM base address and size constants from memory map
      RISC-V - Remove redundant identity_translate callback from load_elf
      RISC-V - Mark ROM read-only after copying in reset vector and config
      RISC-V - Remove unused class definitions from machines
      RISC-V - Make sure the emulated mask rom has space for device-tree
      RISC-V - Include hexidecimal instruction packets in disassembly
      RISC-V - Need to hold rcu_read_lock when accessing memory directly
      RISC-V - Improve page table walker spec compliance and add comments
      RISC-V - Update E order and note that add E and I are mutually exclusive
      RISC-V - Make spike and virt header guards more specific
      RISC-V - Make virt header comment consistent with source file
      RISC-V - Use memory_region_is_ram in atomic pte update
      RISC-V - Remove EM_RISCV ELF_MACHINE indirection from load_elf
      RISC-V - Ingore satp writes and return 0 for reads when no-mmu
      RISC-V - Remove braces from satp case statement with no locals
      RISC-V - riscv-qemu port supports sv39 and sv48
      RISC-V - vectored traps for asynchrounous interrupts are optional
      RISC-V - Dont' trap on writes to misa,minstret[h],mcycle[h]
      RISC-V - Remove support for adhoc non-standard X_COP local-interrupt

> You are making this very hard. Do you work for Arm perchance? I really
> wouldn’t be surprised if our port is being sandbagged by Arm. Apologies for
> being so direct about this, but things like this happen...
>
> I have complied with practically every review request and the sign-offs are
> there. It’s a bit ridiculous.
>
> It would be nice to find someone neutral, unrelated to Arm, to merge our PR

Just don't do this.  If you don't trust the maintainers, I don't see why
the maintainers should merge the RISC-V port; no one needs an history
lesson on RISC or ARM or RISC-V either.  And you can understand that adding
and reviewing 10K lines of code requires a significant effort, that some of
the maintainers are doing in their spare time.

In fact, I looked at "RISC-V - Need to hold rcu_read_lock when accessing
memory directly" and from a first look it's wrong.  So I think you owe an
apology...

Paolo