qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patches] Re: [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8.2

From: Palmer Dabbelt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patches] Re: [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8.2
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 11:29:44 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 03:41:33 PST (-0800), Michael Clark wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 12:18 AM, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 12:10 AM, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 at 11:02 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden>
wrote:
On 6 March 2018 at 19:46, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
You are making this very hard. Do you work for Arm perchance? I really
wouldn’t be surprised if our port is being sandbagged by Arm. Apologies for
being so direct about this, but things like this happen...

I have complied with practically every review request and the sign-offs
are there. It’s a bit ridiculous.

It would be nice to find someone neutral, unrelated to Arm, to merge our PR

Some history on the origins of RISC to put things in perspective:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_RISC

David Patterson worked with Andrew Waterman and Krste Asanovic on the
design of RISC-V. Sagar did most of the work on the QEMU port and he
agreeded to sign off on all patches. The SiFive patches only have sign-offs
from SiFive because SiFive was the sole contributor for its hardware model,
beside the SiFiveUART which has Stefan’s sign-off.

In any case it seems there is not enough review bandwidth in the QEMU
project as a whole and the policy to accept contributions is too strict to
be reasonable, given earnest attempts to comply with *all* review feedback.
Not impressed.

On behalf of the rest of the RISC-V QEMU team I'd like to apologize for Michael's comments. That's a pretty insulting thing to say, and the whole thing comes off as a bit entitled: we've asked the QEMU community to do a lot of work for us in reviewing our port, and seeing as how none of us are QEMU contributors we certainly don't have any grounds to ask someone to stop reviewing it -- that's pretty absurd.

While I haven't been following the upstreaming process as closely as I should have been, as far as I can tell there's no grounds to accuse Peter, or anyone else, of trying to shoot down our port for any reason. Peter, I can understand if you're upset, as I certainly would be. If you don't want to help out with our port any more then I can understand, but I'd just like to assure you that we value the time you've spent on our port and hope you continue to help out!

Hopefully this doesn't derail our chances of moving forward with submitting the RISC-V port upstream.

Sorry!