qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] CVE-2018-7550 (was: multiboot: bss_end_addr can be zero / c

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: [Qemu-devel] CVE-2018-7550 (was: multiboot: bss_end_addr can be zero / cleanup)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 18:23:51 +0100

Am 21.12.2017 um 18:25 hat Jack Schwartz geschrieben:
> Properly account for the possibility of multiboot kernels with a zero
> bss_end_addr.  The Multiboot Specification, section 3.1.3 allows for
> kernels without a bss section, by allowing a zeroed bss_end_addr multiboot
> header field.
>
> Do some cleanup to multiboot.c as well:
> - Remove some unused variables.
> - Use more intuitive header names when displaying fields in messages.
> - Change fprintf(stderr...) to error_report

[ Cc: qemu-stable ]

This series happens to fix CVE-2018-7550.
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2018/03/08/4

Just a shame that we weren't told before merging it so that the
appropriate tags could have been set in the commit message (and all of
the problems could have been addressed; I'm going to send another
Multiboot series now).

Kevin