qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/25] RISC-V Post-merge spec conformance and cle

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/25] RISC-V Post-merge spec conformance and cleanup
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 14:38:17 -0500

On 03/22/2018 02:10 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:

[snip lots of good advice]

Code review isn't only about "does this behave as the
secification requires". It can also catch:
  * simple logic bugs
  * places where the code is more complicated than it needs to be
  * style issues
  * places where a QEMU utility routine could have been used
  * misunderstandings about QEMU internal APIs
  * memory leaks or memory corruption bugs

* grammar/typo fixes in comments/documentation/user-visible error strings

Review by somebody who is familiar with QEMU is just as useful
as review by somebody familiar with the target ISA.

Indeed. Not everyone is an expert on every subject, but the more people that get involved, each in their own area of expertise, the wider the review coverage can be for a better end product. And I'm very much okay with a reviewer stating up front "I'm only commenting on aspect XYZ, but will leave the rest of your patch to someone more familiar with ABC" - even that admission of a partial review is still helpful.

If your queue of unsubmitted or unreviewed patches is steadily
getting longer then something is going wrong; you should be
aiming for it to be as short as possible.

More on this point - typically, the review process is OFTEN the long pole in open source projects, where patches are submitted faster than reviewers can keep up. While the following advice is by no means a requirement that everyone should follow, my personal goal is that I review at least two patches for every one that I submit, to help alleviate the review bottleneck. And doing so has made ME a better programmer, as I get to explore coding paradigms and portions of the tree that I was previously unfamiliar with.

Furthermore, providing reviews to other's patches in addition to writing your own patches has some nice benefits: you gain some name recognition in the community, and it is obvious that you care more about the project as a whole than just about getting your stuff merged. That in turn tends to have an interesting effect that your own patches get reviewed faster.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266