qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Consult] nfs-vsocks support

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Consult] nfs-vsocks support
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 16:02:52 +0000

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 05:54:53PM +0800, Liu, Jing2 wrote:
> I am currently trying to use nfs-vsocks on x86 for vitural machine
> filesystem by some manuals on
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg64563.html
> and https://lwn.net/Articles/647516/
>
> It tells the quickstart steps with the following codes but I got some
> problems as listed.
>  * Linux kernel: https://github.com/stefanha/linux.git vsock-nfs
>  * QEMU virtio-vsock device: https://github.com/stefanha/qemu.git vsock
>  * nfs-utils vsock: https://github.com/stefanha/nfs-utils.git vsock
>
> 1. I would like to ask what is the current status of these codes? If
> there're some updates? :)

Please use https://github.com/stefanha/linux/commits/vsock-nfsd to get
both client and server support.  The vsock-nfs branch you posted only
contains client support.

> 2. nfs-utils codes could not compile for me... I refered to the README but
> failed for both ways. It seems no configure script and
> autoheader/automake... So I don't know how to install this.

Please see "2. COMPILING FROM GIT" in the nfs-utils ./README.  You need
to run ./autogen.sh to generate the ./configure script.

> 3. For the 5th step (Start nfsd), I'd like to know the rpc.nfsd --vsock is
> enabled by which codes? Is it the CONFIG_VHOST_VSOCK kernel module in host?
> Because I installed the kernel with vsock-nfs repo with the specified config
> options but failed to do rpc.nfsd --vsock.
>

> Could you give me some help and thanks in advance!

Here is a script that launches nfsd and runs a guest:
https://github.com/stefanha/linux/commit/38cbc15661a6dd44b69c4f318091f2047d707035#diff-05f3fe8941076453942a8c059b409009

Regarding rpc.nfsd, on my Fedora 27 system rfc.nfsd is launched by
/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs.service.  When developing NFS over AF_VSOCK
I disable the NFS service and launch nfsd manually from the script
above.

Stefan