qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ARM/FDPIC 1/4] linux-user: ARM-FDPIC: Add configure op

From: Christophe Lyon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ARM/FDPIC 1/4] linux-user: ARM-FDPIC: Add configure option to support loading of FDPIC binaries
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:57:16 +0200

On 13/04/2018 17:04, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 6 April 2018 at 16:17, Christophe Lyon <address@hidden> wrote:
Adds --enable-fdpic and --disable-fdpic configure options.  This
feature is disabled by default, that's why it is not described in the
"Optional features" help section (which are enabled by default if
possible).

FDPIC ELF objects are identified with e_ident[EI_OSABI] ==
ELFOSABI_ARM_FDPIC.

If we can identify these ELF objects by looking in the ELF header,
why would we want to make this all a configure option that's
disabled by default?

I think we should just have support for these binaries enabled
always. Otherwise it will bitrot because nobody compiles it.

We are relying on a pre-existing CONFIG_USE_FDPIC, which is currently
never defined. This was introduced by commit 1af02e83 back in 2011,
and indeed if you try to build QEMU with CONFIG_USE_FDPIC, the build fails
because elf_is_fdpic() is not defined.

We tried to conform to this existing support, but maybe it's already bit-rotten?
Do you suggest removing CONFIG_USE_FDPIC?

Thanks

thanks
-- PMM
.