qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Confusion regarding VMEntry events

From: Arnabjyoti Kalita
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Confusion regarding VMEntry events
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 22:00:07 -0400

Hello all,

I am working on developing a "modified" record-replay mechanism for
recording and replaying disk and network events along with VMEntry events.
I have managed to identify the "correct" points where I am going to record
the disk and the network events. But I am not quite sure at which point in
the source code do I call the "VMEntry record" handler.

I am assuming that the VMEntry usually happens just before the ioctl
"KVM_RUN" is called. Specifically the below lines of code :-

function : kvm_cpu_exec()
// record(VMENTRY)       -- calling VMENTRY record and replay handler
run_ret = kvm_vcpu_ioctl(cpu, KVM_RUN, 0);

Is this the correct point where a VMEntry command is "logically" executed
by the host CPU ? Are there other places in the KVM code where VMEntries
can happen as well ?  Please help me out regarding these questions.

Thank you.

Regards,
Arnab