qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] inconsistent memory amount statistics

From: David Hildenbrand
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Question] inconsistent memory amount statistics
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 16:54:14 +0200

On 22.06.2018 16:43, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * David Hildenbrand (address@hidden) wrote:
>> On 22.06.2018 16:11, Igor Mammedov wrote:

>>> I'd think that this part is broken there should be no difference
>>> -device vs device_add here (the only difference here is cold/hot-plugged).
>>
>> I agree, it is "coldplugged" and should therefore be considered as
>> "plugged". I'll prepare a patch, then we can discuss.

>>> well, it depends.
>>> nvdimm might be actually battery powered RAM with nvram backend.
>>
>> I agree that it depends. So I wonder if virtio-balloon should be fixed
>> too, to consider nvdimms. (the complete balloon interface is broken, one
>> does not specify how much memory to inflate/deflate, but how much memory
>> the guest should have. One of the reasons why I dislike global balloon
>> drivers. They don't play nicely along with memory devices (that are e.g.
>> got hotplugged, or nvdimm). But that is a different story :) ).
>
> Balloon and NVDimm feels a bit different; if you're actually holding
> persistent data on the nvdimm you don't want to blow away pages when you
> want some more RAM to play with on the host.

To continue supporting this broken interface with new memory devices
(what we have to do and suddenly considering NVDIMM might be harmful in
setups) we would have to consider for the balloon "all devices that are
usually used as RAM and not as storage medium".

So e.g. virtio-mem would have to be considered, and virtio-pmem not. The
problem is that we are making assumptions on "how the guest will be
using this memory".

So I agree that for compatibility reasons, we most likely have to keep
it this way.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb