qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: How to integrate simple tests for a new platf

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: How to integrate simple tests for a new platform so that they fit in well within QEMU
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 09:56:34 +0200

On 08/07/2018 02:34 PM, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> Hello, folks.
>
> We are introducing a new MIPS platform - called nanoMIPS - to the QEMU.
>
> Besides providing new functionality, we would like to integrate into QEMU
> some basic testing capabilities for that new platform. Something like this:
>
>     Enable user to specify cross compiler and, using QEMU Linux user mode:
>         a. execute several tests that are just almost minimal tests of
> emulation of selected instructions.
>         b. execute several tests that are just almost minimal tests of
> translation of selected system calls.
>
> In other words, this would enable a user to run "smoke tests" for nanoMIPS
> platform, and perhaps to use these tests as a starting point for some other
> tests.
>
> My question is:
>
> 1. Is this a good idea at all?

Yes, it certainly is!

> 2. If yes, what would be the best way to integrate these tests into current
> QEMU test organization?

Best way is to use the test infrastructure in tests/tcg (see mail from
Richard).
Another possibility is to add a simple test to tests/boot-serial-test.c
- but this only works if your machine can output something to the serial
console with some few lines of assembly code.

 Thomas