qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] [RFC v2 0/3] Support multiple pci domains in

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] [RFC v2 0/3] Support multiple pci domains in pci_device
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 20:17:19 +0300

Hi Kevin,

On 08/28/2018 08:02 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:14:58PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
   Hi,

Where is the pxb-pcie device?  0000:$somewhere?  Or $domain:00:00.0?
  0000:$somewhere (On PCI domain 0)
Cool, so we don't have an chicken-and-egg issue.

If we can access pxb-pcie registers before configuring MMCFG then yes,
we should use pxb-pcie registers for that.
Yes, we can.
Ok, so we can configure mmcfg as hidden pci bar, simliar to the q35
mmcfg.  Any configuration hints can be passed as pci vendor capability
(simliar to the bridge window size hints), if needed.
Just so I understand, the proposal is to have SeaBIOS search for
pxb-pcie devices on the main PCI bus and allocate address space for
each.  (These devices would not be considered pci buses in the
traditional sense.)  Then SeaBIOS will traverse that address space
(MMCFG) and allocate BARs (both address space and io space) for the
PCI devices found in that address space.  Finally, QEMU will take all
those allocations and use it when generating the ACPI tables.

Did I get that right?

Yes, the pxb-pcie exposes a new PCI root bus, but we want it
in a different PCI domain. This is done in order to remove the
256 PCI Express devices limitation on a PCI Express machine.

Does the plan sounds sane?

Thanks,
Marcel

-Kevin