qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and Kconfig
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 10:30:52 +0200

On 2018-09-24 11:21, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It seems that back in 2013, Paolo tried to start a GSoC project [1]
> aimed at integrating Kconfig into QEMU and use it as its main
> configuration framework.
>
> I personally think that the rationale described in this GSoC project
> is still valid today. However I'm not sure the project even started and
> in any case it seems that none of it ever made it upstream.
> Since this is something we may be able to start looking at, I'd like to
> understand a few things:
>
> - Are there any fundamental reasons why the QEMU maintainers think that
>   Kconfig would not fit QEMU's configuration requirements?
> - Are there other efforts currently going on for improving QEMU's
>   configuration framework?
> - Did this GSoC project ever started?

 Hi,

thanks for your interest! As far as I know, the project never started
(but Paolo might know more here). There are currently some efforts going
on to make the build process a little bit more flexible, but it's rather
about improving the usage of the various CONFIG_xxx flags (see e.g. the
recent changes to tests/Makefile.include), and not about replacing the
"configure" scripts and Makefiles with an alternative system.

Whether Kconfig would still make sense for QEMU - I don't know. A good
way for configuring the CONFIG_xxx switches in the default-configs
folder would be very appealing, but I think we still need something
equivalent to the "configure" script that also detects the libraries
that are available on the host system. Can Kconfig also provide such a
detection mechanism?

  Thomas