qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] No more chameleon devices

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] No more chameleon devices
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:45:34 +0300

On 10/18/18 5:41 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 18 October 2018 at 15:38, Daniel P. Berrangé <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 03:15:31PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 18 October 2018 at 15:11, Marcel Apfelbaum
<address@hidden> wrote:
Maybe would be a step toward a clean "socket-device" modeling (what goes
where)
and also QEMU emulation would be cleaner since in bare metal you cannot
plug a PCIe device into a PCI slot and vice-versa or have the same device ID
for both a PCI and a PCIe device.
So the command line would then distinguish "-device ne2k-pci" and
"-device ne2k-pcie", and users need to know whether the machine they're
using implements PCI or PCIe, and use the right device name accordingly?
I can understand the rational for splitting the virtio devices, because
of the way they completely change their functionality, even PCI device ID,
depending on whether plugged into a pci or pcie slot.

I'm not seeing the real world benefit of creating -pci vs -pcie for all
the other non-virtio devices. AFAIK, the existing devices work the same
regardless of what bus they are plugged into. So why would a user/app
want to use such devices ? It feels like extra work for no clear benefit
Well, I don't see the benefit either, which is why I wanted to check
whether that was what was being proposed here. Conversely, if we're
happy that the ne2k-pci device should be allowed to plug into either
PCI or PCIe, it seems wrong to prohibit a virtio PCI device from
also being flexible that way, because then virtio would be a weird special
case as far as the user is concerned (as the only device where they need
to care about PCI vs PCIe).

They would need to know which device to use.

PCIe machines support PCI devices while PCI machines do not support
PCIe devices.

I think users of the PCI machines would benefit from having a clear list of
supported devices, rather than have to find out if their device
 1. Is a hybrid device - QEMU will 'make' it PCI/PCIe
 2. Is a PCIe device - would not work on a PCI machine
 3. Is a PCI device - all good

But maybe is too much trouble for a not-so-important issue.

Thanks,
Marcel

thanks
-- PMM