qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Testing sysbus devices

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Testing sysbus devices
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:08:59 +0100

Stephen Checkoway <address@hidden> writes:

> On Feb 18, 2019, at 08:43, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>On 18/02/2019 07.07, Stephen Checkoway wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been working on some improvements to the pflash_cfi02 block device
>>> (interleaved flash devices similar to pflash_cfi01, multi-sector erase,
>>> nonuniform sector sizes, and some bug fixes and I'm planning on
>>> implementing sector erase suspend/resume commands in the near future).

Any chance you could do multiple region support, too?

>>> There appear to be no existing tests for this device and I'm unsure what
>>> the appropriate way to add tests for sysbus devices is. -device can't be
>>> used because sysbus devices aren't user-creatable (and even if they were,
>>> creating the device wouldn't be sufficient since it wouldn't connect it to
>>> the sysbus).
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> I think you could use one of the machines that has a cfi02 on board. For
>> example: Write some random data to a temporary file. Run qemu with:
>>
>> QTestState *qts;
>> qts = qtest_initf(" qemu-system-arm -M musicpal,accel=qtest "
>>                "-drive if=pflash,file=%s,format=raw", filename);
>
> If I do that, will it be possible for the test to override the properties set
> by pflash_cfi02_register? It looks like I should be able to use -global to
> set properties that aren't set explicitly.

Yes.

Won't work for properties set by pflash_cfi02_register(), though.  To
test the full range of values there, you'd have to make them
configurable somehow.  We currently don't have a good way to do that.
Please see

    Subject: Re: Configuring pflash devices for OVMF firmware
    https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-02/msg01734.html