qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Pentium Pro Feature Bugs

From: tedheadster
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Pentium Pro Feature Bugs
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 23:36:02 -0400

I just noticed this in the code regarding MMX and I wonder if it is correct:

target/i386/cpu.c:

#define PPRO_FEATURES (CPUID_FP87 | CPUID_DE | CPUID_PSE | CPUID_TSC | \
          CPUID_MSR | CPUID_MCE | CPUID_CX8 | CPUID_PGE | CPUID_CMOV | \
          CPUID_PAT | CPUID_FXSR | CPUID_MMX | CPUID_SSE | CPUID_SSE2 | \
          CPUID_PAE | CPUID_SEP | CPUID_APIC)

The problem I see is that the PentiumPro never supported the MMX
instruction extensions (oddly supported in the the Pentium MMX), nor
the even later SSE (Pentium III) and SSE2 (Pentium 4) features.

Also, the Pentium Pro never officially supported  SYSENTER/SYSEXIT
(CPUID_SEP), though they originally intended to. Intel discovered
shortly before the product release that the hardware didn't work
correctly, so they never documented it as a feature to prevent its
use.

Should these be removed?

- Matthew